What difference is education to a Girl??
I was in sixth standard and it was monday morning..I was getting ready in white uniform , clean socks and shining shoes...beaming in front of the mirror while my mom made my tiffin and my dad helped me with my school bag .
I was about to go to school on his bike when I saw Lakshmi 2 years younger to me hurrying from house to house to do household chores.
Now why is she not going to school? I saw her everyday of the week doing same thing....doesnt she have holidays??...why are her clothes shabby....???...these thoughts haunted me....
The next sunday I was at home ...playing with my friends in the lawn...I saw her ....she smiled innocently at me like a newly blossomed rose in my garden. I waved to her asked her to join me for a game. She nodded a no and ran away.
She interested me a lot...why is she not playing like every girl ...why is she not going to school.???..is she that bad that no school took her...??? I decided to ask when I meet her again.
I dint get this opportunity not till 2 weeks after which I was given summer vacation.
I woke up early ...went to beach with my closet friend pinky...and returned and I found Lakshmi hopping from house to house ...the same old routine.
We stopped her and asked us to join when she is free in my bedroom.
Not till 12:oo pm she was free to visit us.
We had a friendly chat....we played ludo and she was quick to learn it...then we sang songs....whatever we did she was enthusiastic to learn.....we let her go only after she promised to visit us again the next afternoon.
This went along for a week...I found her she more quick at grasping things and learning than me and pinky. She is polite, shy and amiable. Then why is she not going to school???
I couldnt control my curiousity I asked her why she is not going to school when me the next day.
Lakshmi replied, " I used to go to school when I was very small... I know alphabets and numbers. The teacher used to tell my mom I am a good girl..."
" then why did you stop...dint u like the teacher?" pinky questioned innocently.
Lakshmi was silent for few minutes. We waited without blinking to know the secret of Lakshmi.
"My mom used to work to send me to school...then she feel ill so I have to work" said Lakshmi with her eyes on the floor.
I asked," What about your dad..doesnt he work?"
The mention of her dad brought fright to the little girls eyes.
"My dad works in goverment office....he comes daily drunk ..hits my mom....snatches her earned money...beats me sometimes when I try to cover for my mom..."
"Why does ur mom bear it.....my teacher hit the boy who pulled my ribbon in school....does no one hit ur dad....??" I bursted out.
Lakshmi replied," My mom says she should obey my father as he is her husband. She has to follow what he say" and then Lakshmi started crying.
......This is not only story of Lakshmi ...its story of many girls in India. What is the difference between me and Lakshmi ...she is more polite and more intelligent than many of us...they why she had to be sold as a child labor?? ...Birth???
Just because of birth she is deprived of her life??? Why??
Most of us worry about goals, hikes and dreams of luxuries...what about these girls who cant even dare to dream???
Isnt the responsibilty of us...the luckiest silver spoon children to spare a thought for these girls...
the reasons for such misfortune:
1) Mothers not educated...and hence dependency on the mercy of husbands...
2) Liquor.....all those people who sell liquor spare a thought...cant u earn money by no other means....that u have to ruin senses of man and the bright future of the kids...
3)Our Indian sensitive feelings not to revolt against husbands....be devoted to ur husbands,..respect them...but not to that extent that they ruin ur children....dont be blind to know the difference between devotion and slavery....
4) Lack of social encouragement. I blame all those people who hire small kids to do your household works... including myself..I was mum when I see children hired...God has given us a better life than them...but its our responsibilty to help them...
Things we can do:
1) Please dont hire children
2) Encourage servant maids to send their children to school.
3) Donate some part of the maids' children school tution fee. Give old books and clothes to their children.
4)Help woman to control their husbands irresponsibilty towards family.
5) Educate women in free time and make them realise they have a right to live happily and not in slavery in disguise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment